Pilot - American Queen Steamboat Company
Company: Alcatraz Cruises
Location: Boca Raton
Posted on: June 7, 2021
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the
link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Pilot will oversee the smooth operation of the vessel with
compliance to all Federal, State and local laws and regulations.
This position is ultimately responsible for the safety and security
of all persons onboard the vessel, while on watch. The Pilot has
authority and responsibility for taking all necessary actions for
safety, pollution prevention and the efficient operation of the
vessel under the guidance of the Captain.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safety of passengers and crew and the safe
operation of the vessel
- Report defects and other matters with implications for safe
operations or pollution risk
- Report non-conformities, accidents and injuries involving
personnel or equipment and hazardous situations to the Captain
- Serve as Officer in charge of the navigational watch
- Request assistance from AQSC as may be deemed necessary to
ensure safe and pollution free operation on the ship
- Prepare, in consultation with the vessel Captain, detailed
schedules for future itineraries and then advise the vessel Captain
of any unduly high speed or impractical arrival times, etc. that
- Monitor the operational condition of all navigation
instruments, instigating corrective action when necessary
- Observe weather and river conditions closely at all times and
take proper actions when necessary, while communicating such
actions to the vessel Captain
- Advise the vessel Captain of unusual delays and/or causes with
revised ETA's for the port of call
- With the assistance of the vessel's Mates, insure that all
docking locations are secure and meet requirements set forth
- Proper completion & entries to the official logbook
- Properly manage & complete daily reporting requirements
- Protect the environment and comply with all applicable
- Respond to all General Alarms and emergency situations per the
- Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated
drills and emergency procedures as directed
- Performs other duties if required since above stated describe
only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task
needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualifications
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- FCC Marine Radio Operations license
- Radar certification (endorsement necessary as per vessel)
- USCG license which satisfies COI requirements of applicable
vessel - for the American Empress, this is a 500 Ton Master
- Valid USCG Merchant Mariner Credential - Minimum Mate - Any
- First Class Pilotage on LMR below Baton Rouge is preferred but
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) -
if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid MMC
- Valid Driver's License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be
fluent in English
- Route knowledge - posted on vessel route preferred
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a
pleasant and professional manner
- Must possess leadership qualities with the ability to give
employees sound instructions
- Computer literate with skills in Word, Excel, and Power Point,
depending on vessel
- At least five years of experience in position with similar
duties and responsibilities
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years' experience handling a vessel of comparable
size or large tow; 1 year of which on a Bessel with Z Drive
propulsion preferred, depending on vessel
- Other ship handling, maneuvering, fleeting and harbor work may
be considered for total experience requires, depending on
- Minimum of 3 years in a leadership or supervisory role is
- Passenger vessel industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the
USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random,
reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our
mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests,
but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating
principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of
creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First,
Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating
Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we
promise to engage to live those values:
- We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with
Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
- We are stewards of the Environment through practicing
conservation, protection and education.
- We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe
and secure workplace.
- We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following
- We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
- We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited
We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality
decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at
least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
- We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
- As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and
passionately compete like an underdog.
We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and
not stuck in the past.
- We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
- We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and
are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not
entertain politics and bureaucracy.
- Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody
- We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our
- We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too
- And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and
celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and
or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to
discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship,
sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions,
childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military
statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic
information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic
violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics
prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the
Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain
Keywords: Alcatraz Cruises, Boca Raton , Pilot - American Queen Steamboat Company, Other , Boca Raton, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!